Monday, December 07, 2009

Gingerbread fun!

Making gingerbread houses was a family tradition I grew up with. I always remember my mom making the gingerbread, and hand cutting each piece with her knife from their home made pattern. Then my dad would get set up with plates, gingerbread, and the "glue" (frosting). He would carefully put each one together every year. Some years we just decorated the houses as a family and other years we would have friend too. As I was going through the same routine myself this last weekend, I just sat there and smiled at all the fond memories that I have from my parents hard work in putting this together. So now I give that gift to my children and family. I am so grateful to be able to carry on this tradition and I felt so close to my parents as I worked on this FHE. Here are the results:
13 Homemade gingerbread houses and one long table.

This pattern is from my mom and dad. Isn't it cute?
13 wonderful people. We had Brad and Karen and kids and our wonderful neighbors, the Hatches, over for the fun. The kids LOVED it! They could hardly wait for the Hatches to arrive. The excitement in the are was energizing!
Even the boys sat down and had some fun. Even though I sorta made them. Now I know how my mom felt with my brothers...

The finished Projects:
Hannah
Hunter
Matt and Brad (notice that Brad's house doesn't have anything on it but icing. I think he ate all his candy?)
Shane (notice the love addition of the foam cup that we had our icing in...Lovely.)
Karen and Kristin with Austin
Spencer
Dillion (masterfully pulled apart his whole house and stacked everything up in some sort of tower?)
My house. Beautiful.
Katelyn

8 comments:

Mr. Johnson said...

Your house really was the best. Thanks for all the hard work to put this together. It was super fun!!

Anonymous said...

Grandma Norway thinks you are amazing! The houses look just perfect. It looked like you had so much fun. The only thing I missed was seeing my grandchildren with their finished products. I am going to get busy making some houses today to make with the grandchildren on Friday, and you inspired me to get going. I can't believe you did everything in one day. You are super mom! Love you all.

Linda Richards said...

Wow - I am majorly impressed! That is a LOT of gingerbread houses! You are incredible!

AOlson said...

WOW Jen!!! You are truly amazing! That looks like a lot of hard work. What great memories you have just created for everyone there. Good Job!!

Tagan said...

Dang girl! My gingerbread house are usually hot glued pieces of graham cracker... You are awesome! It looks like you had a ball.

I need to give you my address...

4710 Langdale Way Colorado Springs, CO 80906. Can I get your new one too, please?

Heather said...

JEN! I've been kicking around the idea of doing ginger bread houses. I need to call you!

Danny and Amy said...

Wow! Danny's family has that tradition too, and I've never made homemade gingerbread houses ever-can I get your pattern(or is it just as simple as it looks: 4 walls, a roof, a door). So fun! Whenever I hear Carpenter's Christmas music I fondly think of drinking hot cocoa at your house...good memories.

Amy said...

How fun!